Christmas is coming fast and it’s officially the time of the year when curling up on the sofa with a hot chocolate is perfectly acceptable. I don’t like *basic* hot chocolate, but I love myself a homemade ‘fancy’ hot chocolate that take a little more than some powder and hot water. So I thought I’d share my favourite hot chocolate recipe that I make for my friends and family this time of year! Enjoy (and why don’t you try it yourself!) It’s super easy and only takes around 10 minutes to make.
- 200ml full-fat milk
- 4tbsp drinking chocolate powder
- 30g dark chocolate, finely grated
- ¼tsp ground cinnamon
- A pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2tbsp brandy or dark rum (optional)
- Canned squirty cream, silver balls and gingerbread biscuits to decorate
- Place the milk in a saucepan and heat gently until almost boiling and scalding hot. You can also heat in a microwave on HIGH/100% for 2-3 mins if you’d prefer.
- While the milk is heating, mix the chocolate powder, grated chocolate, cinnamon and nutmeg as well as the brandy or rum (if you’re making an adult version) in a heatproof jug until well combined.
- When the milk is about to boil, pour it into the jug, whisking with a whisk or stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Immediately pour into cups and squirt a swirl of cream over the chocolate. Scatter with a few silver balls to decorate and serve with gingerbread biscuits and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! It’s one of my favourites this time of year!